[TenTec] Re: Scout / Mic notes

Peter A. Klein pklein@seattleu.edu
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:39:00 -0700 (PDT)

David Wright <dwright@microagesf.com> asks:

>>>Mic recommendations for the Omni VI ??  I've the plastic mike as below
(700?) that even -DX- complains about the squeak.  Otherwise the audio
quality is ok.  I've tried Heil headsets, Shure 444's, D104, etc.
  I still can not find a mic that will give both good audio quality, AND
work with VOX.
<<<<<

The plastic hand mic is wired such that the mic element is shorted out
when the PTT is released.  I know because the hot wire to the mic element
was broken on mine when it arrived, and I had to fix it.

The following is speculation, so check a schematic before proceeding, but
I'm pretty sure this is correct:

If you want, you could unsolder the two yellow wires from the top end of
the PTT switch, reconnect them, and insulate the connection from
everything else.  This would mean that the audio would be live at all
times, and the mic would work with VOX.

Disadvantages:  If you drop the mic or play with it in your hand, you
might trigger the VOX.  And if you do digital modes via the audio input
jack on the back, you'll have to disconnect the mic to avoid room noise
mixing with your mark/space tones.

--Peter (KD7MW)  who plans to wire up his ICOM desk mic to his
Omni 6, but has been too lazy to do it so far. . .   :-)

Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|