[TenTec] Omni VI

Chester Alderman chestert@pressroom.com
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:18:04 -0400

--=====================_3834055==_.ALT

        This is not a personal attack on John, KE6PID, but I just cant let
those
comments about the Omni 6 go unanswered without a little rebuttle.
        I have an Omni 6, that is now a 6 Plus. I have had this rig and a
Titan
amplifier for a little over seven years and to make this long story short, you
couldn't pry my Omni 6+ away from me with a stick of dynamite! (but I might be
tempted IF I ever find a better rig).
        In the seven years I've had it, it has literally thousands of
operational hours on it, but it keeps on ticking! I have worked 311 countries
on 40m CW, 258 countries on 80m CW, run QRQ with it as fast as it will key,
which is 70 wpm, and have had thunderous hours of very enjoyable CW QSO's
using
it. Oh, yes, it has been on SSB about four times.
        On two separate occasions I have also owned an Icom IC-781, both of
which I have had operational on my desk simultaneously (via an A/B antenna
switch) for about six months with each one. My goal was to see, under my
operating conditions, which one I liked best, and keep that one. I have sold
both of the IC-781's and still have my Omni 6+. In both cases, the Omni 6+
receiver outperformed the IC-781' s receiver in it's ability to pull out weak
signals on 40 and 80 mtrs, on my operating position, using my antenna's (a 80m
sloping dipole and a 3-ele fixed quad on 40m). But I did often find that I was
copying very weak signal DX stations, especially on 80 mtrs that other DX'ers
just could not hear.
        In 1993 I operated my Omni 6 at the W3LPL contest station, setting
a new
record at W3LPL for 80 mtr operation, 1167 QSO's, 33 Zones, and 117 countries.
My 80m partner, Rich, KE3Q was using a Kenwood TS-950 and many times I had to
give him the call sign of the station calling us because he could not hear
them
on his TS-950 and I heard them well enough to copy the call sign, with us both
using the same antenna.
        In 1997 I came in 5th place in the USA/Canada as single operator,
single
band, 80 mtrs, using my Omni 6 and Titan amp and a simple sloping dipole,
working 551 QSO's and 69 countries.

        So, NOPE, from my experience, the Omni 6 does not just have a
faster CPU
and there are no extra 'bells and whistles', it's just one heck of a fine
receiver and transmitter that, by my literal experience, can not be
bettered by
ANY other ham rig on the market.

        And I'm not done yet! This weekend I'm going to buy a Yaesu FT-1000MP
and I'm going to put it on my operating desk and I'm going to go through the
same testing phase as I did with the IC-781, and I'm going to keep the best
one. What do you want to bet on which one it is going to be?

73,

Chester Alderman
Tom - W4BQF
chestert@pressroom.com

--=====================_3834055==_.ALT

is not a personal attack on John, KE6PID, but I just cant let those
comments about the Omni 6 go unanswered without a little
rebuttle.</div>
have an Omni 6, that is now a 6 Plus. I have had this rig and a Titan
amplifier for a little over seven years and to make this long story
short, you couldn't pry my Omni 6+ away from me with a stick of dynamite!
(but I might be tempted IF I ever find a better rig).</div>
the seven years I've had it, it has literally thousands of operational
hours on it, but it keeps on ticking! I have worked 311 countries on 40m
CW, 258 countries on 80m CW, run QRQ with it as fast as it will key,
which is 70 wpm, and have had thunderous hours of very enjoyable CW QSO's
using it. Oh, yes, it has been on SSB about four times.</div>
two separate occasions I have also owned an Icom IC-781, both of which I
have had operational on my desk simultaneously (via an A/B antenna
switch) for about six months with each one. My goal was to see, under my
operating conditions, which one I liked best, and keep that one. I have
sold both of the IC-781's and still have my Omni 6+. In both cases, the
Omni 6+ receiver outperformed the IC-781' s receiver in it's ability to
pull out weak signals on 40 and 80 mtrs, on my operating position, using
my antenna's (a 80m sloping dipole and a 3-ele fixed quad on 40m). But I
did often find that I was copying very weak signal DX stations,
especially on 80 mtrs that other DX'ers just could not hear.</div>
1993 I operated my Omni 6 at the W3LPL contest station, setting a new
record at W3LPL for 80 mtr operation, 1167 QSO's, 33 Zones, and 117
countries. My 80m partner, Rich, KE3Q was using a Kenwood TS-950 and many
times I had to give him the call sign of the station calling us because
he could not hear them on his TS-950 and I heard them well enough to copy
the call sign, with us both using the same antenna.</div>
1997 I came in 5th place in the USA/Canada as single operator, single
band, 80 mtrs, using my Omni 6 and Titan amp and a simple sloping dipole,
working 551 QSO's and 69 countries.</div>
NOPE, from my experience, the Omni 6 does not just have a faster CPU and
there are no extra 'bells and whistles', it's just one heck of a fine
receiver and transmitter that, by my literal experience, can not be
bettered by ANY other ham rig on the market.</div>
I'm not done yet! This weekend I'm going to buy a Yaesu FT-1000MP and I'm
going to put it on my operating desk and I'm going to go through the same
testing phase as I did with the IC-781, and I'm going to keep the best
one. What do you want to bet on which one it is going to be?</div>

Chester Alderman<br>
<b>Tom - W4BQF<br>
</u></html>