[TenTec] Omni VI

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:45:33 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01BDC579.BF96FCE0

Tom:

Let me save you the trouble.  I have had an Omni Six Plus and Yaesu =
FT-1000MP side-by-side for two years.  I use the Omni over 90% of the =
time.  Not that it is really inferior to the Omni, it's just that the =
Omni seems to have the edge in receiver selectivity, ease of PBT use, =
and fast, thump-free QSK.  The MP's QSK seems to be almost as fast, but =
it is plagued with some strange T/R effects that are fatiguing to my =
ears.

My only concern with the Omni Six was the CW keyed waveform and slight =
transmit chirp on my unit.  Not all Omni Sixes exhibit this, but mine =
was one of those unfortunate few.  In the course of making some other =
repairs, I found the cause and pursued and developed a solution, taking =
more than four weeks to complete.  Now, my Omni's CW note and waveform =
is second to none; and even better than my Omni V I recently sold.

-Paul, W9AC
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Chester Alderman <chestert@pressroom.com>
    To: tentec@contesting.com <tentec@contesting.com>
    Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 9:57 PM
    Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI
   =20
    Yikes, I may be in trouble Steve, I just got an email from Chuck - =
W7MAP saying he has already tried the FT-1000 MP against his Omni 6 and =
has already sold the MP!!! I'll let you know how this works out.
   =20
    73,
   =20
   =20
   =20
    At 01:16 AM 8/12/98 +0100, you wrote:=20
   =20
        Ummm, I bet on the OMNI!  From an OMNI VI owner too! I could =
have saved you the trouble, K8CV owns both, but the he'll tell you the =
FT1000 sits under its plastic cover quietly while the OMNI works, nuff =
said de Steve, W8SFF=20
         =20
       =20
       =20
       =20
   =20
   =20
   =20
    Chester Alderman
    Tom - W4BQF
    chestert@pressroom.com

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01BDC579.BF96FCE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Tom:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Let me save you the trouble.&nbsp; I have had an =
Omni Six Plus=20
and Yaesu FT-1000MP side-by-side for two years.&nbsp; I use the Omni =
over 90% of=20
the time.&nbsp; Not that it is really inferior to the Omni, it's just =
that the=20
Omni seems to have the edge in receiver selectivity, ease of PBT use, =
and fast,=20
thump-free QSK.&nbsp; The MP's QSK seems to be almost as fast, but it is =
plagued=20
with some strange T/R effects that are fatiguing to my =
ears.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My only concern with the Omni Six was the CW keyed =
waveform=20
and slight transmit chirp on my unit.&nbsp; Not all Omni Sixes exhibit =
this, but=20
mine was one of those unfortunate few.&nbsp; In the course of making =
some other=20
repairs, I found the cause and pursued and developed a solution, taking =
more=20
than four weeks to complete.&nbsp; Now, my Omni's CW note and waveform =
is second=20
to none; and even better than my Omni V I recently sold.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-Paul, W9AC</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>Chester Alderman &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:chestert@pressroom.com">chestert@pressroom.com</A>&gt;<BR>=
<B>To:=20
    </B><A =
href=3D"mailto:tentec@contesting.com">tentec@contesting.com</A> &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:tentec@contesting.com">tentec@contesting.com</A>&gt;<BR><B=
>Date:=20
    </B>Tuesday, August 11, 1998 9:57 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: [TenTec] =
Omni=20
    VI<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>Yikes, I may be in trouble Steve, I just got =
an email=20
    from Chuck - W7MAP saying he has already tried the FT-1000 MP =
against his=20
    Omni 6 and has already sold the MP!!! I'll let you know how this =
works=20
    out.<BR><BR>73,<BR><BR><BR><BR>At 01:16 AM 8/12/98 +0100, you wrote: =
<BR>
    <BLOCKQUOTE cite type =3D cite>Ummm, I bet on the OMNI!&nbsp; From =
an OMNI=20
        VI owner too! I could have saved you the trouble, K8CV owns =
both, but=20
        the he'll tell you the FT1000 sits under its plastic cover =
quietly while=20
        the OMNI works, nuff said de Steve, W8SFF <BR>&nbsp; <BR>
        <DIV align=3Dcenter><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>
    <DIV align=3Dcenter>Chester Alderman<BR><B>Tom -=20
    =
W4BQF<BR></B><U>chestert@pressroom.com<BR></U></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY><=
/HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01BDC579.BF96FCE0--