[TenTec] Openwire feedlines

Steve Ellington Steve Ellington" <n4lq@iglou.com
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:54:22 -0400

-
>Any thoughts (even "don't be stupid") welcomed!  73. Mike

I'll be brief.

The plastic pipe would act as a dielectric because it is in the immediate
field of the conductor. Dielectric losses would be huge unless the pipe was
huge. I would think the pipe should be at least 24" in diameter and the
feeder should be centered somehow. Condensation on the inside walls due to
the cool temperature would probably make things even worse.

I'm sure the pros do this but probably use a  sealed pipe full of inert gas
to eliminate the moisture. Maybe the best idea would be to install a remote
tuner and run coax inside the shack..

Steve Ellington
Amateur Radio Operator N4LQ