[TenTec] OMNI-VI questions/comments

Allen Bush AE0Z@compuserve.com
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:23:00 -0400

Gentlemen:

I have been reading the reflector for some time, but don't remember seeing
much on the VOX or CW speed control idiosyncrasies of the Omni-VI.

I have recently received an approx 3 yr old VI which I upgraded to an
Option 1.
The rig is a real joy to operate... so PLEASE don't get the idea I'm
grumbling!

I have observed the following:

1.  In CW, the delay for non-qsk operating cannot be set for much more over
a second or so.... not very long for the slow-speed operator.  I'm assuming
this is done in software.... so probably no components could be added (ie:
capacitance increased) to lengthen delay??

2.  In CW, using the internal keyer, the keyer speed slows down after a
period of time.  I haven't noticed whether this is gradual or all at once.
Is this a normal "anomaly"??

3:  In SSB on VOX, even with long delay settings and maximized vox gain,
the vox tends to drop out between every few words, even though not pausing
at all.  I can talk as fast and loud as I can and periodic drop outs occur
(I am using the factory recommended electret desk mike)..  Has anyone
analyzed the VOX amplifier section of the schematic and deduced what is
going on just before the sig goes into the A to D converter??

3:  I have detected a work-around for many of the birdies that occur.  I
have one right on top of 3920 (KS SSB NET FREQ) which IS quite noticeable
when the band doesn't have too much QRN.  Maybe this has been discussed
previously, but when I press almost any of the keypad input buttons, the
birdies shift freq. various degrees.  By locking the vfo in use, the 3920
birdie I have moves several kHz away!!.. Also, if I store the freq in mem
and then switch to the mem, I no longer hear the birdie.  This was quite
encouraging to me.  I don't think it works for all of the birdies, but may
for those coming out of the microprocessor area.  Any comments or
observations on this??

I must say that I am very pleased with the rig.  Other radios I have owned
all have their own "quirks"....   but were as easy to use or clean sounding
as this!

Any comments would be appreciated

Allen Bush, AE0Z
AE0Z@compuserve.com