[TenTec] PM-3 Newbie

Paul R. Valko prvalko@oakland.edu
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 06:39:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, George Maier wrote:

> Bought my first (but not my last) Ten Tec radio a few weeks ago; a
> really clean PM-3.

A "really clean" PM3 is rare.  Most get butchered with earphone jacks and
other "mods!"  That's quite a classic rig (I've got four Power Mites - one
of each Model) don't compare a Power Mite to any other radio, except maybe
a Norcal 49er, they are VERY primitive rigs.

> It seems to have some minor problems, like I hear a
> low level frying noise in the earphones even when the volume is at the
> lowest setting, probably a bad resistor.

Probably the wrong headphones - and a modified rig.  The PM3 needs 600 ohm
pin-type cans that fit into the two holes in the front panel.

>  Also, the sensitivity seems a
> bit low on both bands.  I'm sure these issues will get sorted out in
> time.

"Seems a bit low?" Compared to what?  Your modern rig burner?  It IS lower
than that but it is pretty darn good for the technology and age.

> Two questions:
> 1) Are there any mods to be recommended for this rig ??

AHHHHHRRRRRGGG!!!  Yes... sell it to someone that will appreciate it for
what it is.  I'm kidding of course, that radio is a piece of history and
should be treated as such.  BUT - it *IS* YOUR radio to do with as you
please.  My best tongue-in-cheek recommendation would be to try removing
everything in the case and replace it with the guts of a Sierra.

It really is a VERY rare radio - your thrill will be telling people you
contact on it that you are using a Power Mite - the Original Ten*Tec
tranceiver from 1972.

> 2) Does anyone have a spare 210 power supply for sale ?? >

Ahhh! Now you have the spirit!!!  You want a complete Power Mite station
including the Power Supply!!!  :-)  Excellent.  You'll also need to go on
a Holy Grail search for the little SWR meter for it!

> Next step is a new T-Kit power meter...

Opps... spoke too soon.

> after that who knows.... I just love this American made stuff.

Well George, perhaps a new collector is born today.  But if you are really
thinking of comparing the Power Mite and judging it as an American
Standard to compare to your off shore appliances, I'm afraid you'll be
sadly disappointed.

Best of Luck and a vy 73!

=paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics

<http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~prvalko>