[TenTec] Re: Stability of TT PTO rigs..

AE0Q V31RY v31ry@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 01:02:11 -0700

At 17:37 07-12-98 EST, N0OCT wrote:

>Has anyone done any shack [field?] measurements of the stability of TT PTO
>controlled rigs?  I would like to know what kind of stability others have
>seen.  I would even like to know what kind of stability the synthesizer
 >types are getting.

  I've used my Corsair-2 for a few thousand RTTY QSO's, and it does drift a
bit.  During a long transmission, 5 mins or so, the heat would creep along
the metal cover and the PTO moved 30 Hz.  Then during the other station's
transmission, it would cool and go back to the original freq, back and
forth.  It stopped drifting at all when I directed a small fan along the
rear heatsink of the Corsair-2.

  My synthesized TS-450s/AT with TCXO option is ROCK stable under all
conditions, no matter how long the key is held down.  I use it for RTTY
contests and there is no drift.  That's why I put in the TCXO, for absolute
best temperature stability.

  I like the Corsair-2 for CW, but the TS-450s makes a better RTTY rig.

73  --  Glenn
 Another month ends...   All targets met, all systems
 working, all customers satisfied, all staff eager and
 enthusiastic.    All pigs fed and ready to fly.

     AEØQ / V31RY           ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SVØWY, WAØVPK
  v31ry@ix.netcom.com    --SOWP 5558-M, QCWA LM, ARRL LM, NCVA--
http://www.qsl.net/ae0q/