[TenTec] VI+ Key Up Spike

RICHARD ANDREN andrenr@ul.com
Fri, 11 Dec 98 6:59:48 CST

There was a discussion here a while back regarding the key up spike
produced from the Omni VI+.  Here's a little background to my problem.  I
have no fancy test equipment, just a basic scope, meter, etc, so I can't
measure this stuff.  I'm thinking about this now as I blew the main tuning
cap in my MLA-2500 in the last rtty contest.  Bringing the input to the amp
up slowly while keyed down or with ssb, no problem.  I attempted to run the
rtty contest at 700w output, well below what the amp can handle, but after
1-1/2 hours, the main tuning cap melted, not a good thing!  Could the key
up spike, or whatever you choose to call it, contributed to the breakdown?
The MLA will keydown at 1000w, but maybe this spike that's been talked
about could have contributed?  I agree the MLA design isn't exactly what I
would call a beefy/built up unit, but this is what I've got to work with.
This was the first rtty contest I've used the amp for.

At this time, I can limp the MLA up to 1500w, but if I key it with a little
juice, like 400w out, ZZZAP!!!  I think a key up spike is initiating the
breakdown.  Am I wrong?

I haven't fixed the amp yet because I may need to modify it with a vacuum
cap instead of the air variable.  Maybe it has nothing to do with the Omni,
and it was just time for the cap to blow?  I won't be able to read

Hope to catch everyone in the contest this weekend on 10m!

73, Rick N9THC