[TenTec] OMNI VI filter bypassing?

Clark Savage Turner turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 07:05:56 -0800

Hello All -

I just got my INRAD 2.8 KHz SSB filter for my OMNI 9 MHz
IF.  It does indeed help the PBT to work a bit more to spec
and seems to be fine.  However, with the 2.4 KHz filter in
the 6.3 MHz IF, I cannot hear the wider audio that it passes.

This brings me to my question: I have the 1.8 KHz option
empty in the 6.3 MHz IF line.  Can I just run a .1 uF cap
from hot side to hot side (to block DC) of the filter slot
and run directly through the 6.3 MHz IF so I can hear this
filter?  Or, should I stick in a 200 ohm resistor in series
with the cap to keep the impedance close to specs of the
filter that would be in there.  I would love to compare the
sound of the model 220 in the 9 MHz spare slot against the
new INRAD filter with the 6.3 MHz IF filter disabled, just
to see how it looks.  I eventually want George to build us
a matching 6.3 MHz IF filter at the 2.8 KHz width so that
I can hear a fuller SSB signal, but till then, it would be
good to know the difference.

I plan to play around on CW to see how the note sounds there,
the filter order was originally all about making the OMNI VI
CW note sound a little better.  Anyone else get there 2.8
filter from INRAD want to make a schedule?

Clark
WA3JPG