[TenTec] Re: Last Chapter

David E. Shelton *ku4it*@bellsouth.net
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 17:47:30 -0500

Carter and all,
I first started out with the method of make a detailed list of all problems
experienced, under what conditions, bands operating on, antenna in use
during problem, PS in use, RF output setting, operating mode, and anything
else I could think of you get the idea. Well, one of the first replies I
got to the initial post was remove the cabinet of the rig and check all
plug in connectors in the VI+. If you have not been into your Omni VI/VI+
there are a lot of plug-in wiring harnesses from board to board and some
from component to component to board . . . Well this yielded some positive
results immediately. There was two plugs that were questionably loose,
which I examined and reconnected. Then next, after operating a couple days
with a couple more flare ups of the internal keyer I got a posting from an
amateur to consider the AC power cord on the PS model 961 as a route in for
RFI. So I proceeded to place a medium sized ferrite choke on the power cord
right at the grommel coming into the PS. WOW, no more keyer problem for the
last to days at least. I am pretty sure I got it resolved but it could pop
up again. I usually have the problem with the internal keyer at least once
every hour I operate. Now after about 5hr operating no problem so far. Hope
it stays that way.

--
73 dit dit,

David E. Shelton, RN