[TenTec] Cleartone Speaker Phenomenon

Chester Alderman chestert@pressroom.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:29:20 -0500

Yes, Brian, but instead of getting a useless thread going on the reflector,
I read the messages and just smirk! (or something)  I rushed out and bought
the speaker and tried it on my Omni 6+ and my IC-781 and really gave it a
workout; it's now collecting dust on one of my basement shelves. I use one
of the 4" GE Mobile Communications speakers and no matter what I try, it
continues to sound the best to me, especially on CW. It is, of course, a
'communications speaker' and as such has what I want, a limited audio
response.

For headphones, I had a nice pair of Heil Pro headsets. After wondering why
the heck they sounded so poor, I finally took the ear pieces out of an old
pair of Telex 2000 ohm headset and put them in the Heil Pro ear pieces. WOW
what a difference. The Heil Pro's are very comfortable and do not give you
' sweaty ears' after wearing them for hours, such as during a contest.

Just a personal preference!

At 08:33 AM 2/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I first heard about the Cleartone speaker and how great it was for CW last
>summer. I'm a CW guy and anything that simple that could improve copy as
>much as the reports I was hearing had to be short of a miracle. I saw one
>at a hamfest in early fall and pounced on it. Got it home and proceeded to
>try it on every rig I own (Kenwoods-HF,VHF/UHF,SWL... Ten-Tec, Yaesu) in
>both CW and SSB modes. My humble opinion? It now lives in my Jeep as an
>external speaker for my VHF/UHF radio. I couldn't see (hear) what all the
>fuss was about.
>I prefer to use headphone 95% of the time anyway but the Cleartone did
>nothing to impress me.
>
>I spent several years in the music business involved with major touring
>acts and recording studios. I know all about speaker enclosures, resonance,
>frequency response, and all of that jazz but the bottom line is what does
>it sounds like to the listener? Like someone said earlier in this thread,
>everybody's ears are different. Mine just weren't excited. I wonder if
>there's anyone else who wasn't impressed by this speaker?
>
>Brian KF2HC
>

>--

Chester Alderman
W4BQF -- Tom