[TenTec] my favorite OMNI VI additions

Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 19:19:35 -0800

With all the Cleartone comments going on, thought I would list my
favorite simple, cheap additions to my OMNI VI for those of you who are
interested.

1.  Change the AGC time constant (for the slow position for SSB)
by putting in a 22 micro farad cap in place of the 10 at C27 on
the IF/AF board.  This lengthens the AGC time constant a little bit
for SSB resulting in quieter, smoother audio most of the time.  It
also results in a little more recovery time for large static
crashes (everything is a tradeoff!)  No change for the fast AGC.

2.  I use vinyl protectant on the plastic inside the main tuning knob
where the flannel pieces make contact for resistance.  I can then
increase the "tension" and yet have smoother tuning across the band.
I like the effect on the tuning "feel".

3.  I use quality floorwax on the two outer case pieces.  I do two
coats, and I use "future" wax.  It makes the paint look very nice and
actually protects from scuffs.  Easy, too.

4.  I use a simple fan, any fan, on the back of the 961 / 962 power
supply, especially when I leave it on for long.  Those things do get
hot if left alone.

Clark
WA3JPG