[TenTec] Re: Scout Info

AE0Q V31RY v31ry@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 17:27:38 -0700

At 08:08 21-02-98 -0600, someone (no call) wrote:
>I really doubt that the "whine" is in the synthesizer. Synthesizer noise
>would only be audible in the presence of a signal for it to beat with.

  It's definately not from the synthesizer since the Scout/Argo uses a PTO..
All of them have a very low-level whine that you can hear with headphones
plugged in and the audio turned down..
    The rig is made with a LOT of audio for mobile use, and with headphones
plugged straight into the front jack you have to turn the volume waaaay
down.  If you put a 50 ohm resistor in series with the cans (mine is in the
plug) then you can turn the audio level up a little and it overcomes the low
whine from the digital noise.  I'm not sure where that comes from, but the
rig is very quiet and very weak sigs are readable that I can't even hear on
a friend's TS-50s, so it's not phase noise from the RF stages..  With the
audio turned up just a little bit it's gone..
  Ten Tec says right in the Scout/Argo manual to pad the headphones to make
the headphone volume and speaker volume levels equal.

  By the way, Kenwood does the same thing in the TS-450s, but they use an
expensive custom headphone jack that switches in the resistors automatically
when you plug in headphones..

  Modifications for speeding up the QSK and adding a PTT output to the
Scout/Argo are on my web site..

73  --  Glenn
"Remember, any tool can be the right tool!"   Red Green

     AE0Q / V31RY          ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SV0WY, WA0VPK
  v31ry@ix.netcom.com   --SOWP 5558-M, ARRL LM, QCWA LM, NCVA--
http://www.qsl.net/ae0q