[TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?

Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:48:29 -0800

I find that the pair of 250's in combination with my DSP (option
3 upgrade) allow me to dig out more of a weak signal with QSB,
QRM and QRN.  Two nights ago, I heard Fran KA3WTF (is he still
the world record holder for miles/watt?) and he was just barely
459 or so.  When he finished with his QSO, he was only about
339, and I took time to use both 500's and both 250's to see
what I could do.  I took the PBT and adjusted for best signal
to noise as far as my ear could get, then used the DSP.  I found
I could copy more characters with the pair of 250's, and it was a
case of mostly storm QRN and weak signal with QSB that I had to
overcome.  I would say that the difference was in a few db of
extra hearing power for my ears.  Very hard to quantify, and I
would not argue if you told me it was mental preference, but it
made the difference for me, probably a couple of characters
every minute.

Clark
WA3JPG