[TenTec] QRP with OMNI VI+

NW9G / Ten Tec / CW nw9g@netusa1.net
Sat, 03 Jan 1998 21:09:10 -0500

At 03:28 PM 1/3/98 -0500, mmahan@ibm.net wrote:
>I have been trying to use my omni for qrp.  The maual says that has
>adjustable power out 0-100W.  I have a MFJ Versa Tuner II I use to tune
>my Inverted Vee antenna to 30M.
>
>I tune the antenna to 1:1 and use the low setting on the MFJ (0-30 W)
>and set the power out by it to 5W.  The meter on the rig reads 16W.  If
>I turn the power all the way down on the OMNI the MFJ reads .4 watts and
>the OMNI meter 10W.  Which meter do I believe?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike KB4WJA

Probably niether one Mike.  For serious QRP, do yourself a favor and buy a
"REAL" meter.  The meters in all my Ten Tec gear are just relative only.
I can't say much about MFJ either, only thing I like that they made is my
swr antenna gismo.  All others, I have pitched.
Also one other thing, your Omni 6 may not go down to QRP. There have been
done some mods on my Omni 5 and it will go down to 1 watt.  Many will not.
Just remember, few rigs on the market have acurate watt meters built in.
I love my Ten Tec's but I also have acurate meters (not MFJ's)
Good luck and 73....Steve...NW9G