[TenTec] Titan in a rack

DARYL L NOEL w4ec@juno.com
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 19:02:40 EST

Hello Steve,

After reading your memo about using the rack mount for the Omni VI+,
Titan 425, and Automatic antenna coupler, I was wondering if you had any
problem with heat from the Titan amp Eimac tubes??  The following is what
I did to remedy any heat build up problem.

I had a similar configuration with the Hercules II amp.  The Omni VI on
bottom, blank spacer, Herc II in the middle and the Auto antenna tuner on
top.  Heat dissipation was not a problem.  I then purchased a Titan 425.
The folks at TenTec said that you should have at least 5-7 inches of air
space above the Titan because of the Eimac tubes, if this was to be used
in a rack mount environment.

Putting the Titan on top with the blank spacer still only gives you 2-3
inches of air space for the Eimac tubes.  To be on the safe side, I
wanted more space with more air circulation. I found a set of 19" rack
mount fans with a stainless steel front grille.  There were three fans
built on the unit, it was the same height (5 1/4") as the Auto antenna
tuner.  This was perfect for what I was wanting to do.

The configuration I now have is the Omni VI on the bottom, a 1 3/4" blank
spacer, Titan amp, and rack mount fans.  All that you see at the top is a
stainless steel grille with a washable air filter.  I debated trying to
put the fans on the rear of the rack mount in different configurations,
but decided against it.  The air is pulled in from the front and blows
out over the rear of the Titan, moving the hot air that is there.  The
Auto antenna tuner is now setting in a different place.

The fans are ac and I bought a dimmer switch/fan speed control switch and
mounted it in an electric box with an attached outlet.  Now instead of
having the fans run at full speed all the time, I can adjust the RPM's on
them so they will not be as noisy.

73's
Daryl  W4EC