[TenTec] Century 21 PTO Repair

Steve smann@advi.net
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 17:24:45 -0400

I've rebuilt two PTOs in the last month although neither were Cent21.

For the first I used TenTec's rebuild kit and replaced all parts as they
directed.

For the second, I didn't have a second rebuild kit, so I just
disassembled the PTO and THOROUGHLY cleaned the parts in denatured
alcohol removing all the old caked grease.  Then I reassembled the
origional parts using the leftover green grease from the rebuild kit.
The PTO is smooth as silk!  This was about a week and a half ago and
it's still fine.  I'll have to wait to see how it passes the test of
time.

Interestingly enough, my Argonaut 505 that I bought in 1972 has never
had any PTO problems.

It may be that there is more than one cause of the PTO problems, but the
grease definitely seems suspect.

73,

Steve, N4EY