[TenTec] Lubricants

AL_LORONA@HP-USA-om33.om.hp.com AL_LORONA@HP-USA-om33.om.hp.com
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:38:06 -0400

     Hi everybody,

     Steve has probably put his finger on the essence of the PTO
     controversy with his observation of the quality of the lubricant.

     Back in the early 80s I worked at JPL with a crack engineer whose job
     it was to find out why the camera scan platform of the Voyager
     spacecraft got stuck on the Saturn flyby. The scan platform slews the
     camera and other instruments up, down, left, and right. (If you
     remember, much valuable data and many pictures were lost because of
     the failure.) The Lab was very interested in salvaging any movement of
     the scan platform for the expected encounter with Uranus so that the
     maximum science (photos) could be gained.

     We made dozens of replicas of the scan platform's gearbox and then we
     turned 'em on. Carl was a gearbox expert. We ran some continuously,
     others intermittently, some rapidly and others slowly, still others at
     high temp and others at cold temp, and collected statistics on them
     all while they whirred frantically up in the gyro room. One by one,
     they jammed up just like the original one.

     When Carl finally finished his investigation, he concluded that a bad
     batch of lubricant that prematurely hardened and clogged the precision
     teeth of the gears was the cause of the failure, but he also found out
     the exact parameters of movement range, frequency, and rate that would
     allow NASA to maximize its very limited remaining gear box life. As a
     result, the Uranus flyby was a success and Voyager 2's mission was
     extended to include Neptune in 1989, which was at that time the
     farthest planet from the sun.

     I'm afraid that failures of gearboxes and PTO shafts can happen to the
     best of us, but thank goodness that, here on Earth, we have the luxury
     of merely opening up our PTOs and adding a little Teflon lube after
     cleaning up the shaft. It's so much easier.

     R,

     Al W6LX

     P.S. For fascinating info on the two Voyager spacecraft, check out
     http://vraptor.jpl.nasa.gov/voyager/voyager.html