[TenTec] Thoughts re: Corsair II

Steve Ellington Steve Ellington" <n4lq@iglou.com
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 11:27:28 -0400

I've been seeing Corsair 2's at hamfest for around $500. From what I've seen
on the internet, you can save money at the hamfest. Count on a pto rebuild
however. I believe bad grease in pto's is the main reason people sell this
stuff. They are quite repairable for just the cost of new grease and a few
hours labor.

For just a little more, $700, you may find an Omni V. I saw one at the Indy
fest for that amount and it looked very good. There is a world of
difference. No flashing last digit, no thumping agc, smoother qsk, better
sidetone, less drift and memories.

The factory has used units at nearly twice the price with a 30 day warranty
(I think). The warranty isn't worth quite that much.

Look around at some of the larger hamfest. Internet prices are often much
higher due to the fact that there are more suckers on-line than at hamfest.
Buy at the lowest possible price and always assume it's broken. You won't be
dissapointed that way.

Steve Ellington
Amateur Radio Operator N4LQ