[TenTec] ARRL Proposal

Bahr, Casey casey.bahr@intel.com
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:36:23 -0700

Joseph,

There is a wonderful message in your ham radio story about hard work,
perseverance and the pride of accomplishment. I applaud your efforts and
enjoyed your relating your viewpoint to us all.

I would like to point out, though, that in today's testing world the Q & As
are now published for the written exams and the code tests do not
require 1-minute copy, only answering 7/10 multiple-guess questions
correctly. Anyone, with a simple technique, can pass the writtens all
the way up to Extra without retaining a bit of it and in a very, very
short time.

The code tests really translate into something like 4-5
wpm less on the air. Thus, a 12 wpm requirement could be passed by
someone who, under the standards you met, could only copy about
7-8 wpm. In fact, I know of at least one person who passed the General
code test by simply taking it about 10 times until he had memorized and
guessed his way through it, not being able to copy the letter 'e' at any
speed.

Anyway, this is all to say that the ARRL first tried to sell more
subscriptions and bump up their ad revenue by making it a no-brainer
to get access to VHF bands and made it easier to get on HF than
in your days of license exams. Has that made ham radio more
successful in their philosophy (motivated by $)? No. They are losing
money. So, now they make another desperate attempt by applying
the same failed lesson to open up the HF bands even further, taking
away bandspace from CW and further dumbing down the requirements
for entry (and this against the wishes of the majority in their own polls).

Anyone with a General Class license now will undoubtedly be grandfathered
in to the 12 wpm requirement and they only need pass a test for which
the answers are published to have full access to our dwindling CW bands.

Wistfully proposing that there be some sort of 20 wpm requirement for the
bottom 25 KHz of the bands is not going to get anything done. This entire
proposal should be sent back to whence it came. It is only one more step
towards turning the HF bands into another segment of CB radio.

73,

Casey, KS7J