[TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets

Simmons, Reid W reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:19:00 -0700

A recent post plus several previous messages on this subject prompted me
to post this.

I recently built the 1320 QRP CW transceiver and, contrary to the
sometimes strongly worded advice against it both in the manual and on
this list, I USED SOCKETS at EVERY IC LOCATION!  The reasoning behind my
"outlandish display of rebellious behavior and a total disregard for
established practice" was that I HATE to unsolder defective ICs, it
makes experimental substitutions a snap, circuit modifications will be
far easier, and... because there really is sufficient room on the
circuit board to do this.

I used the not-so-cheap Radio Shack 8-pin Dip sockets.  Why?  Because RS
was open late that Friday night and all the other purveyors of
electronic parts around here had long since closed for the weekend.

Therefore, if your so inclined and experimental of mind, go for it!  My
1320 works great.  I had no mechanical or performance problems
associated with the use of these sockets, and the measured performance
equals or exceeds spec.

This little rig has outstanding receiver performance considering the
relative simplicity of the circuit.  And the transmitter... well, what
do you want for only 3 watts?

Reid, K7YX