[TenTec] rambling questions

Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:47:31 -0700

Anyone here use the Timewave or the JPS DSP?  I had a Timewave
59+ for a while, and I just got an NIR 10 with version 4 installed.
Neat toys, but the audio artifacts and distortion drive me absolutely
batty.  I find the DSP in my OMNI VI to be basic and restricted, but
the darned thing works well enough that I use it on occasion.  I
find the NIR 10 just annoys me so far.  Well, the bandpass function
for CW is not too bad, but there is a light "motorboating" on all
the leading and trailing edges of the CW signals while it filters.
The SSB "noise reduction" does indeed reduce certain kinds of noise,
but ADDS others.  I hear all sorts of odd junk as the processor
decides what parts of the signal to keep and what to throw.  Aaaaack.
I have spoken to one other guy who tells me that he notices this
stuff, too.

I have my beloved Corsair I and was hoping I could add this to it
and improve the CW selectivity.  Ha.

Another rambling question.  Anyone notice that the OMNI-analog
must have been the OMNI I, the OMNI-digital was the OMNI II, the
Corsair I must have been the OMNI III, the Corsair II, the
OMNI IV.....is this how the OMNI V got its name?

Clark
WA3JPG