[TenTec] rambling questions

Duane Calvin dacalvin@us.ibm.com
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:40:37 -0400

Welcome to DSP.  I have an NIR-12 and it is noticeably better than the NIR-10.
The 12 has dual DSP modes, and I tend NOT to use the NIR mode due to time delay
(doesn't work well with QSK CW - hi!).  In the "dynamic peaking" mode
(essentially the same as Timewave's DSPxxx series "random noise"), the NIR-12
beats all the Timewave including, arguably, the DSP-599zx.  It has the second
mode, NIR, that can be kicked in on top of the other, but it must be used
judiciously due to the audio artifacts that are induced when the level is
increased beyond the 9 or 10 o'clock position.  The NIR-12 also has an
effective audio bandpass filter with brickwall edges - if you don't have IF
selectivity built into your Omni-VI, then put your money there first!

All of that said, I've not even hooked my NIR-12 up to my 10 month old Omni-VI+
yet.  The Omni's DSP is quite good about 75% of the time.  For the remaining
25% I wish I had the NIR-12 set up for random noise reduction as it seems to
handle a somewhat wider range of noise types.  Would it be worth purchasing for
an Omni-VI+ owner?  I'd guess no, but your mileage may vary.  It always pays,
with DSP units, to borrow one and try it out first.

 73,  Duane    AC5AA

Duane A. Calvin
Server Systems Test Engineer
Dept. 76TS   RS/6000 - SP Nodes