[TenTec] RE: 6 meter transverter

Simmons, Reid W reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 12:13:00 -0700

Jay;

I built one when they first started shipping them in November '94.  My
unit had no parts missing but it did have a few extra.  The only problem
with the circuit I had was with a Zener diode that was getting way too
hot (could not keep ones finger on it very long).  I calculated a new
value of resistance for the circuit, put that in, and everything was
fine.  I informed Ten Tec of the problem and they confirmed that it was
indeed overheating.  I am not sure if they made any changes to the
circuit (different resistor, or higher wattage Zener) of future kits.  I
don't have my notes with me, but if you are interested in the
modification let me know and I will get it to you.

ALSO, if you are planning on using it with your OMNI VI, put some
procedure in place to remind yourself to turn the power output down.  I
have on two occasions now put a full 100 watts into my 1208.  The first
time it blew out some switching diodes which Ten Tec said needed to be
replaced anyway with a higher voltage type.  The second time (that was
only a couple of months ago), it heated up the resistors that make up
the power attenuator to the point where I could smell them.  However,
nothing needed replacing - as far as I have been able to tell.

73.

Reid, K7YX