[TenTec] Ten Tec 254 Tuner

Michael A. Newell mike_n@inetport.com
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:00:07 -0500

I believe the Model 254 tuner was manually
adjusted.

On the Model 253 automatic antenna coupler
you "manually" adjust it the first time for each
band using the Tune switch. You will hear the
roller inductor turning and the capacitors being
switched until it finds a match.

After that, if it is connected to the appropriate
radio via the 15-pin Molex connector on the rear
of the tuner it can take band change information from
the radio and you can change from band to band
without having to touch the tuner (with a couple of
exceptions explained below).

When you change to a previously used band the
tuner will adjust itself to the last setting for that band.

If you were on the high end of 80 meters,
changed to 40 meters, then back to 80, it would
put itself back to the last 80 meter setting.

If you wanted to work the low end of 80 you
would change to the desired frequency and press
the Tune switch again to readjust the tuner for the
low end of the band.

There are 9 hf bands but the tuner only has 7
band change lines. I use my 253 with an
OMNI VI, and the 10/12 meter bands and the
15/17 meter bands share a band line.

This means when you change from 10 to 12
meters, or vice versa, or 15 to 17 meters, or
vice versa, the tuner will not detect the change.

You will have to press the Tune button to match
the tuner to the new band.

Hope this helps.

Mike Newell
WB4HUC