[TenTec] Scout and 6 meter transverter -Reply

Scott Rosenfeld [NF3I] ham@w3eax.umd.edu
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:37:15 -0400 (EDT)

I would tend to disagree completely; in many ways, the model 1208 is NOT a
compromise at all - the receiver is good, 8 watts is enough to drive a
brick, and you can use it with ANY 20m rig that can be backed down to <10
watts output without tapping into the tx or rx chain - it just goes
between your rig and 6m antenna - and even has an HF bypass switch so you
don't have to take it out of line.

Yes, it does induce a bit more noise, as it's another IF in the chain,
but in many ways an HF rig will often have far superior filtering
available to it than will your typical VHF rig.  In that respect, it may
outperform many other VHF radios when used with a good HF rx.

(and yes, I use one myself, and no, I have nothing to do with TT)

** Scott Rosenfeld NF3I & AAR3IB/T ** http://w3eax.umd.edu/~ham **
** Burtonsville, MD FM19mc * DXCC WAC WAS * QRP-L #147 * AK-QRP **
* Waiting for 6m to open... ** ARRL Life Member/Laurel ARC/UMARA *
** 301-549-1022(h) 301-982-1015(w) *** 35 wpm HF mobile CW Neon **