[TenTec] Recommendation?

NW9G nw9g@netusa1.net
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 23:37:57 -0500

At 12:48 PM 3/7/98 -0600, Gary Harmon wrote:
>Looking for a small all band (WARC too) transceiver for use in a nursing
>home environment.  CW primarily due to voice problems.  What Ten-Tec would
>be recommended?  Not a lot of money to spend.
>
>Thanks in advance and 73, gary

Hi Gary.  If I had to make your decision (which I don't but will try), I would
look for an older Omni.  Not having lots of money to spend always limits any
thing you would want to buy.  The omni is a very hard rig to beat on rx, tx
and options.  I have seen the analog omni's at swapmeets for around $250  or
so.  They have the warc bands and many filter options and great rx in them.
If you can sacrifice some options like warc bands, and extra filtering, I
would
look towards the the 540 or 544 series rigs.  I sold an entire 544 digital
triton with matching supply and external vfo for $375 a few years ago.  I have
seen just the rigs only go for $200 - $300.  A loaded up older omni will
usually go for $350 - $400 depending on filtering.  Century rigs are dc rx
and not much good on a croweded 40 meter band at night but are great in the
day time and anytime on 20 meters.  Argosy's are nice but 30 meters is the
only warc band you get and are kinda pricy.  I have one (digital and loaded)
that I gave $400 for.  They are very small and quite attractive rigs though.
Ten Tec Delta 2 is a great little rig ( I also have one ) does everything
you would want but carries a heavier price tag.  Keep this in mind:  about
any of the older ten tec rigs will probably need the pto rebuilt if it has
not been done in the past 8 years or so (depends on useage).  Ten tec sells
the kits for about $25 to do it yourself (about 2 hours labor, depending on
what rig).  More hassel than money involved. I have bought many older rigs
and nearly everyone of them needed it done.  I have gotten good at doing it
myself over the years.  And that is usually the first thing I do when I buy
one unless it's already been done recently.  Ten tec's are great rigs
(I have a room full of them) and love them all.
	In summary, if you want a no frills great little inexpensive cw rig
to get on the air with, look hard a the triton 540 / 544.  If you want more
features and warc bands look for the older omni rigs or the delta 580.
Here is a website to look these rigs over:
http://www.pcd2.state.va.us/tentec/models/htm

I sure hope this helps you out.  Remember, this is just my opinion, suggestion
and you do what ever you feel is right.  I just hope that I may be of some
help to you in making that decision.  I've done it many times.
Gary, good luck to you and if you have any question feel free to ask, I have
owned about every ten tec made at one time or another.  73.....Steve