[TenTec] a T/R circuit question...

Ronald D Rossi rrossi@btv.ibm.com
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:37:14 -0500

Folks,

Put on the thinking caps! ANY comments are welcome. I have very thick skin.

I am looking for a sort-of design review of a simple circuit I want to try out
on the T/R connection between my Ten-Tec Omni-D and a Collins 30L-1 amplifier.
The problem is the RF gets to the amp too quickly or alternatively the two
mechanical relays inline take to long to energize.

I see two possibilities: 1) replace the T/R relay in the Omni with a fast reed
relay. 2) suppliment the present relay with a transistor.

Here is my idea for the transistor in parallel with the relay:

http://www.together.net/~larossi/tr_schem.jpg

The Collins 30L-1 is somewhat unique in that the T/R line has the negative
grid bias voltage setting there. The circuit I am proposing should provide a
virtual ground at the T/R connection for the time between the transistor
turning on and the relay in the Ten-Tec kicking in.

Let me know what you think.

--
73 de KK1L...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
QTH: Swanton, Vermont