[TenTec] Re: ONLY 90 WATTS!

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:31:23 -0500

If you're referring to my earlier post, the problem has been corrected
thanks to Troy's suggestion of adjusting R46 (ALC Limiting) on the Omni
Six's 9 MHz Mixer/IF Board.  This board is replaced by Ten-Tec if one elects
a full-option upgrade of their Omni Six to a "Six Plus."

My point was twofold: 1) that the rig easily achieved 100 watts prior to the
upgrade as measured on my Bird 43 wattmeter, notwithstanding a potential 10%
measurement error, and 2) most importantly....that my 3CX1200-based
amplifier requires every watt at the top end of the Omni's range in order to
achieve power anywhere close to *its* specified maximum output rating.   Due
to the amp's amplification factor, the end result is not a mere "0.458 dB,"
or 10-watt difference as you so poignantly suggest.

Keith, sometimes we have to think outside of the box as to what someone's
rationale is for making an inquiry, such as mine.  I also respect your
decision to... "just run the rig, but only after I got the power back down
to a reasonable 5 watts (MAX!!!)."

Remember, this is the Ten-Tec reflector, not the QRP-L reflector.

73,

-Paul, W9AC