[TenTec] Scout bashing

Steve Ellington n4lq@iglou.com
Fri, 8 May 1998 08:14:50 -0400 (EDT)

> I noticed a while back on this reflector that Ten Tec has made some
> changes in the new Scouts (e.g. surface mount technology).  I'm wondering
> if Ten Tec has solved the frequency jump on the new Scouts.  And, is the
> new Scout now suitable for CW operation to 40 or so wpm.

I spoke with one of the factory techs about the fq. jumping problem and he
indicated that nothing had changed. He said you still need to pause every
few minutes and allow time for the processor to lock the frequency.

Personally, I'de rather have a slow drift than a sudden jump. Also, the
qsk, although smooth, is rather slow. There is a simple resistor value
change to speed this up but I'm not sure if it will work with the smt
component version.

SMT is a good way to reduce construction cost but in this case it just
seems to have made the rig difficult if not impossible for most hams to
service.

Most hams these days aren't concerned with ease of service these days
however. They simply send their little appliances back to the factory with
their complaints. Then there are some who are so eaten up with a
paticuliar brand name that their feelings are hurt when negative things
are said about their rig. I would suggest we keep and open mind when it
comes to commercial products and not wear our feelings on our sleeves.
Relations between fellow amateurs is far more important than the well
beign of some manufacture.

The purpose of this list is to discuss TenTec products. Feel free to speak
freely without imtimination about their products. TenTec does not own or
operate this mail list. Negative, positive and funny remarks are all
welcome. TenTec has chosen to join in on some of these comments and their
input is very welcome. Few corporations would even consider an open,
public forum as this.

73 N4LQ

Steve Ellington N4LQ@IGLOU.COM  Louisville, Ky