[TenTec] SCOUT

Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Fri, 08 May 1998 14:25:36 -0700

Just to join the fun....

I like the Scout OK, there is only one thing that bothers me
about it (this is why I do not own one) - when the voltage is
below 13.8 or so, there is a noticeable FM'ing effect on SSB.
I use nearly new 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries and get
comments on the FM'ing on my audio.  I kick the voltage up
to 13.8 volts and the comments are "great audio".  I have worked
hard to eliminate other causes and have come to the conclusion
that the Scout really, really needs 13 vdc for SSB at full power.
I believe Moz down under has noticed this in his Scout (that I
helped him find and purchase here from the USA.)

I do not go much above 30 wpm and I have long pauses in my CW
so I have not been bothered by the frequency shifting problem,
though I have noticed it.

I like to camp and operate CW and SSB while parked, and I use
the separate battery in the back seat.  Since the Scout is
sensitive to voltages below 13, I use my Corsair I (a little
large!) or my Kenmore 440, the old standby.

Further, though I appreciate chastising the "nattering nabobs of
negativsm" here on the Ten Tec list, I also appreciate the honest
discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the Ten Tec gear.
I like Ten Tec gear for engineering reasons, not because I am
a "fan" ... I am not a "fan" of Ten Tec and use other gear when
it suits me.  My OMNI VI with upgrade is the radio I use the most
because I like a radio that works the way I want it to, not
because it is made in Sevierville.  (Though I do share the pride
that these guys can do it here in the USA.)

73

Clark
WA3JPG