[TenTec] User must have web problems

Chester Alderman chestert@pressroom.com
Wed, 13 May 1998 22:40:56 -0400

I think your lack of knowledge of how  the internet works is shining
brightly. It does not matter if you access the net via a 300 baud
connection, a T1 line, or fiber; if the net is overloaded, your T1 line is
not going to make your connection any faster than the person connected at
300 baud! You may have a T1 line, but what is your data transfer rate? The
TenTec web site is not slow on my lowly 256kb ISDN line, except between the
hours of about 6pm to 11pm each night...when the net's bandwidth
utilization is typically at it's maximum.
Your preception of TenTec gear, is your preception, however in my opinion
it insinuates you don't operate amateur gear very much or just plain dont
have the experience of using various different radios or maybe you stay on
2m FM too much.
Challenge:  Set up an A/B switch to a single antenna. Connect an Icom
IC-781 and a TenTec Omni 6 to the A/B switch. Listen carefully to both rigs
for about six months. Then come back here and let us know your opinion.
After all, according to QST and CQ astute technical editors, the IC-781 is
best radio available and it would only be fair to run the TenTec Omni 6
against the 'best', right ?

At 12:30 PM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have noticed that the TT web site is slow and it is NOT on my end as I
>access the internet through a T1 line (that's a very fast connection!), the
>slowness is definitely on their end.
>
>Bill Ames
>KB1LG
>

>--