[TenTec] RE: Dual Receive

Ross F. Guldenbrein NW6R east3rd@sj.bigger.net
Thu, 14 May 1998 16:51:34 -0700

Hawkins, Bill wrote:

> I have used TenTec transceivers since 1978. At that time the OMNI D had
> the outboard vfo and had the capability of dual receive. I could listen to
> 2 frequencies at one time. I tried that maybe twice and found that I couldn't
> do that any better than listen to 2 conversations at home at the same time.
> I could switch back and forth between them or operate split with ease.
> I use split with my OMNI 6+ all the time chasing dx but I don't  need to
> listen to 2 frequencies at the same because I couldn.t understand
> either one. As far as sending one frequency to one ear and another
> frequency to the other ear--hahahahahahahahahahaha.
> I'll wager that most folks with dual receive capability don't listen to
> 2 frequencies at the same time either.
> Bill W5EC
>
> --

Bill,  I find the dual rx feature very handy when working pileups.  To
be able to hear where you're 'landing' your signal relative to the rest
of the pack (and where the DX station is picking up callers) is of great
benefit.  Of course, you need to get used to 'selective filtering' in
your head but once learned, it is a great tool. Switching back and forth
is just one more function to oversee at the controls.  I love my Corsair
II  and OMNI D/b and would be hard pressed to give them up for a radio
without dual rx.  73  Ross NW6R ..