[TenTec] Keyer report

Jim and Kate Belt jkbelt@spiritone.com
Sat, 16 May 1998 13:11:50 -0700

Hi Everyone:

Here is my keyer report based on the responses to my request for
impressions.
First of all there is very little consensus. However most of the responders
used iambic keyers and of the iambic the Vibroplex was favored over others.
Passion responses to the iambic keyer were in evidence. One responder said
that iambic keyers were from hell. Another said that while he had five
keyers his keyer of choice was a straight key. Kent had one plus vote and
one negative vote. One person said that keyers are of such a personal
nature that generalizations are almost impossible. I tend to agree from
having read all these replys. Vibroplex seems to come out ahead though with
both iambic and paddle.

Minority responses from followers of Jones, Brown Bros., V22, and Schurr.

This is all pretty new to me. I've never used an iambic keyer but there's a
place for one on my OMNI VI+ so I don't need an auxiliary keyer but how do
I practice off the air? I've got a little speaker oscillator but that would
only work with a straight key or the original Vibroplex bug.

Again, thanks to all.
73 Jim K7JIH