[TenTec] More on OMNI VI (option 3) birdies and PLL hash

Clark Savage Turner turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:38:26 -0800

Ah, I seem to have a line on some solution here.  It is
very much like the Ten Tec service tech said, go in there
and ground a lot and fiddle with a couple of wire positions
and see what happens.

I grounded the specific things Ten Tec thought might help
and not much happened.  I tucked the DSP coax wiring underneath
the board on topside.  Not much there either.

I finally got wild and took out the BPF board and just soldered
all grounds, all IF cans on the top side of the board.  This
helped a bit.  Then I turned the radio on, while it was opened
up, and moved my hand around in there to see where I might pick
up the signal (the birdie gets much stronger when I put my
hand on the front tuning knob).  I found that when I put my
hand near the main processor chip, the birdie and tuning hash
become quite strong.  I move the DSP wires (they go from the
board with the processor chip over to the IF/AF board) and
the birdie goes up and down in strength.  At least I know
what it is now.

I thought I would get some RG 8 shield sleeve and put it over
the DSP leads going to the IF/AF board, but decided to wait till
tomorrow and go to Radio Shack to get some ferrite beads to slide
over the RG-174/U coax DSP leads, I think that ought to stop
the RF from moving over through the radio.

I think this will do it.  Thanks for the suggestions, hope
anyone else who runs into the problem has as much fun as I have
fixing it :-) .

Clark
WA3JPG