[TenTec] OMNI VI TROUBLE

Chester Alderman chestert@pressroom.com
Sun, 01 Nov 1998 21:13:31 -0500

--=====================_28964262==_.ALT

John...I think it's just the gremelins after us? Saturday, I had the very same
thing happen to me. I had some QSO's early in the morning, but left the rig
running most of the day, and when I went to transmit again, no RF output. I
took mine off line and did some looking and poking around but can't seem to
find anything definately wrong. I get about 15-25 watts output max, with the
ALC light blinking and the current jumping at the same time. I suspect I may
have a bad final transistor. My Omni 6 is about seven years old and has
literally thousands of operating hours on it. But why did it have to break just
one week before the Sweepstakes contest? Guess TenTec is going to have two
'panic' calls to their service department tomorrow!!  Good luck with yours.

73,

At 02:47 PM 11/1/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I finished a qso with my Omni VI and all was well. I left the shack for
>a few minutes. I returned and gave someone a call, but discovered that
>the OMNI VI would not transmit anymore!!
>
>Receive works fine. Anyone have any theories as to what might cause the
>transmit function to go out while the rig was in the receive mode? Just
>time for it to happen, I guess!
>
>Will be on the phone to Sevierville first thing tomorrow, but thought I
>would ask if anyone has any ideas as to which component has failed!!
>
>Thanks/73, John, W4GD
>

>--

Chester Alderman
Tom - W4BQF
chestert@pressroom.com

--=====================_28964262==_.ALT

had the very same thing happen to me. I had some QSO's early in the
morning, but left the rig running most of the day, and when I went to
transmit again, no RF output. I took mine off line and did some looking
and poking around but can't seem to find anything definately wrong. I get
about 15-25 watts output max, with the ALC light blinking and the current
jumping at the same time. I suspect I may have a bad final transistor. My
Omni 6 is about seven years old and has literally thousands of operating
hours on it. But why did it have to break just one week before the
Sweepstakes contest? Guess TenTec is going to have two 'panic' calls to
their service department tomorrow!!&nbsp; Good luck with yours.</div>
shack for</div>
discovered that</div>
cause the</div>
mode? Just</div>
thought I</div>
failed!!</div>
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
tentec@contesting.com</div>
tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com</div>
owner-tentec@contesting.com</div>

Chester Alderman<br>