[TenTec] Calling all Omni Six Owners

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:15:48 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0078_01BDF1D3.12A468C0

Those of you who have an Omni Six/Six Plus that exhibit a slight =
transmitted CW chirp may be in for some good news.  George, W2VJN at =
INRAD has agreed to manufacture a 2.8 kHz BW 9 MHz I.F. filter if we can =
demonstrate enough of a demand for it.  This is a replacement filter for =
the stock 2.4 kHz BW 9 MHz filter.  This is the only filter in the Omni =
that shares the receive and transmit function.  This same filter also =
exacerbates the slight chirp caused by frequency-shift-keying the Omni's =
9 MHz BFO circuit board on some Omnis. =20

How can you tell if your Omni is transmitting with chirp?  Yes, of =
course you listen for it.  But in many cases is can be subtle.  It's =
when you compare the CW note against another Ten-Tec when you notice the =
difference the most.  Here's a test you can use: key your transmitter in =
the CW mode, sending a string of characters, listening carefully to the =
CW note on another receiver.  It's best to use a wide SSB bandwidth for =
monitoring. Next, depress the Omni's FSK mode button.  Again. key the =
transmitter by sending a string of characters, listening for any change. =
 In FSK, the CW transmit circuit is identical, with the only exception =
being that the sidetone monitor is disabled, but more importantly....the =
transmit BFO frequency is HIGHER than it is in CW, placing the CW well =
above the lower skirt of the 2.4 kHz filter.  If CW sounds cleaner to =
you in FSK than it does in CW, you've got the problem I'm discussing =
here. =20

I want to make this point clear: the problem does NOT manifest on all =
Omnis.  Nevertheless, on those that are not problematic of a chirp, the =
CW BFO transmit offset frequency of 9,000.400 is running dangerously =
close to the 2.4 kHz filter's lower passband skirt.  When the CW =
transmit BFO frequency reaches the filter skirt, chirp results and the =
transmitted CW waveform can become truncated on the trailing edge.=20

Recall that the Omni's CW transmitted BFO frequency is 9,000.400 kHz.  =
The center frequency for this filter is mid-way between the LSB and USB =
transmitted BFO frequencies at 9,001.500 kHz.  Therefore, the margin of =
lower skirt freedom in the designed Omni Six/Six Plus is only 100 Hz; =
the filter cuts off at 9,000.300 kHz.  If the filter is not near =
perfection in manufacturing, the CW BFO frequency can indeed fall square =
on the filter's edge as it does in two of my Omni Sixes. =20

Other's have repeatedly asked me why the Omni V sounds so consistently =
good on CW transmit in comparison with some Omni Sixes.  With the Omni =
V's CW circuitry being a close 99% match to that of the Omni Six, the =
answer again lies with this filter.  Only in the Omni V, the fixed CW =
offset is 9,000.600 kHz, well out of harms way of the lower filter =
skirt.  Here, the Omni V has a margin of freedom of 300 Hz, not 100 Hz =
as in the Omni Six series.

A 2.8 kHz BW, 9 MHz I.F. filter will provide for the same 300 Hz of =
safety to the lower filter skirt.  While this corrects the problem on =
CW, how will it affect SSB operation?  If the USB and LSB BFO =
frequencies remain the same, the audio response goes from 300Hz - 2.7 =
kHz to 100 Hz- 2.9 kHz.  As a practical matter, this should not present =
a problem.  Yes, the occupied bandwidth is slightly greater, but not so =
much as to cause QRM to QSOs near your operating frequency.  As a side =
note, Kenwood once sold a filter with this bandwidth and the Yaesu =
FT-1000MP has a menu choice for expanded transit SSB audio response.  =
Also, since the USB and LSB frequencies are adjustable, the audio =
passband characteristics could be shifted slightly if desired.

A minimum of five brave souls are needed for George to make this filter. =
 Cost of the filter to us is $110.  Shipping is 2 months ARO.

If you have an interest in this, please e-mail me directly and I will =
forward your commitment to George.  Thanks.

-Paul, W9AC
Jacksonville, Florida=20