Original Text
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>, on 10/13/98
3:17 PM:
At 04:04 PM 10/8/98 CDT, you wrote:

>This is kinda directed to Scott at TT, but I though it may interest the
>whole group.  First, a little history.  Going back a few weeks ago, I
asked
>this group about protection of the auxiliary antenna input from a loop.  A
>bunch of emails bounced around, and Scott from TT mentioned that
protection
>of the aux input is necessary.  He also mentioned that before you connect
>any antenna up to the radio, you should ground the hot lead of the coax to
>drain off any lingering charges since Scott had a blown front end from
this
>very thing.  Now comes the confusing part.

Hi Rick:

Acutally, what can happen is not loss of the front end of the
receiver.  The diodes at the AUX RX jack to prevent the front end
from being cooked can blow.  I wanted to point out that the blowing
of these diodes is exactly what is supposed to happen with the
transceiver if large amounts of RF or a static discharge comes back
through the AUX RX antenna jack.  They are there for protection and
this is not a deficiency in the transceiver itself.

Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
  Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (423) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
  Repair (423) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
  Fax (423) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>

  --->--->---> Please note: E-mail <sales@tentec.com> for sales
  and general product info only.  We presently do not offer
  repair, parts, or kit building tech support by electronic mail,
  please telephone.

  Ten-Tec manufactures amateur radio equipment, military and com-
  mercial use HF radio equipment, custom aluminum and steel
  enclosures and has an on-premises, fully equipped tool and die
  facility supplying metal and plastic injection mold industries.
  Potential tool and die, custom enclosure or communications
  electronics customer?  Contact us with your needs.