[TenTec] Front End Protection

David Feldman dgf@netcom.com
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:11:23 -0700 (PDT)

>>Yes wind induced static can zap a front end of a receiver, one list member of
>>another list reported such just last month.
>>
>>Disconnect whenever you are not on the air, and move the lead in well away
>>from the radio desk surface is the best policy, and ground the antenna
>leadins
>>to your main protective ground entry.
>>
>>Stuart K5KVH
>
>Wind induced static can be very nasty. As chief engineer of KTKT-AM in
>Tucson, whenever we had a wind storm, accompanied by blowing sand, you
>could stand outside the studio building, in the middle of the 5-tower

I've never had a front-end die due to wind/rain static.

However, I've lost the SWR diodes in THREE different units - a Ten-Tec
509 Argonaut, a Ten-Tec 405 amplifier, and a Drake W4 wattmeter.

In all three cases, the "offending" antenna was a cushcraft 40-2CD 2 element
40M yagi, which has a non-DC-ground feedpoint (basically just a dipole
fed from a coaxial coil balun).

Needless to say, my QRP+ doesn't get anywhere near that antenna!

73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com