[TenTec] Want: Ten-Tec Argo (model 556)

Caitlyn M. Martin Caitlyn M. Martin" <cait.martin@ibm.net
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:02:46 -0400

Hi, Ronald,

>Do not know what you intend to use the ARGO for but I had one and
>never had many QSO's either CW or SSB.  I had 40,30,20, and 10 modules.
>I also got real tired of swapping modules!  I wound up selling it and got
>an ARGOSY II (525D).  Its slightly bigger but band-switches 80-10.  I had
>a blast.  It puts out 50 or 5 watts.  When you switch to 5 you actually
>bypas the 50 watt PA.  The power is also adjustable below 5 via the ALC control.

I have used both the Scout and the original Argosy.  I operate exclusively
QRP recently, and find that I can make contacts with 3 watts PEP with my
Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 handheld on 15 meters.  I like the challenge of QRP,
so the 50 watt PA is not terribly interesting to me.  If I ever want to use
the rig portable, the PA adds weight to the rig.

The Argosy is an excellent rig, no doubt about that.  It doesn't cover two
bands I like:  12 and 17 meters, and does cover four I don't like: 20, 30,
40 and 80.  It's also big compared to the Argo/Scout.  I dislike the
modules myself, but really like the Jones filter for sorting out QRM.  I
would only buy four modules:  10, 12, 15, and 17.  Any others I got with
the rig would be resold, except for maybe 20 meters.  I just wouldn't go
out of my way to actually buy a 20 meter module.  With only four bands, the
Argo is not exactly expensive.

I saw an original Argosy with most all the options posted on usenet the
other day for $300, and Alan (N3BJ) posted an Argosy II for $375.  I've
bought a rig from Alan before, and I know I can trust him.  I've probably
missed both already, but they are *very* tempting.  Still, if I have the
option, I'd really like an Argo.

>I guess what I'm saying is the performance of the 525 is better and not
>having modules is nice too.

Better in what way?

> Modules aren't cheap either.

$30 new, a little less used/demo from TenTec.  At worst case, they add $90
to the cost of the rig for me.

>The 525 also allows IF  and audio filters too.

Narrowing the bandwidth with the Jones filter does the same thing on SSB.
A crystal filter is probably better for narrow CW, but since I don't even
own a key, that's hardly an issue for me.

>Just my thoughts.  And I used the same antenna for both.

I understand.  It a;; depends on how you use the rig, and how you operate,
though, doesn't it?

Thanks for your thoughts.  I do appreciate them, and will give them some
thought.  I'd also love to hear other people's thoughts on the two rigs.

73,
Caity
KU4QD

Caitlyn M. Martin                  "They have computers, and may have
cait.martin@ibm.net                           other weapons of mass
http://www.caitys-world.com               destruction"  -Janet Reno