[TenTec] TVI Problem

Steve smann@advi.net
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:16:41 -0400

ke4fib wrote:
> Noise seems to show up on
> computer speakers in the house also when I transmit, according to XYL.
> Running around 50 - 75 watts.
> Do I need to rethink  my *stealth* antenna? Must be stealth!!
> Low pass filter? If filter, anyone have a used one they are willing to
> part with?
> >Thoughts / suggestion ??

Gordon,

It's not clear to me whether you really have TVI or just "overload" of a
powered speaker system connected to your computer.

The wire between the two speakers, or the wire from the computer to the
speakers, or the wall wart leads COULD be picking up rf energy from your
transmissions and feeding it back into the af amp.  Try placing 0.01
mu-F small disc caps across the speaker leads of the powered speakers.
This approach often helps or solves the problem with stereo systems, but
I've never tried it with computer systems.  The caps bypass to ground
the rf energy picked up by the leads rather than letting it get into the
area of the amp. If that doesnt solve the problem try putting a cap
across the DC power lead from the wall wart where it goes into the
speaker system.

This may not be the solution, but from your description it appears to be
the source of the problem.  Good Luck!

Steve, N4EY
Omni D user in Toast, NC
Zombie #257   ARC-I