[TenTec] Corsair II CW Sidetone

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:46:30 -1000

Aloha,

Have had the Corsair II around for a couple of weeks now.

Like it very much,  except for the sidetone;  sounds like a mechanical
buzzer to me,  hi.  With the under the case hole,  you can stick your
finger up inside,  and after fiddling around awhile,  you find the two
wheels which will modify the pitch and volume,  but it still is not a
sine wave tone;  but a high pitched buzzer note.

Can this be changed,  did Ten Tec ever put out a mod?

Am still doing comparisons on weak signals vs the FT-1000D;
unfortunately,  I am not sure how to quantify my feelings of
preference for the Corsair over the D.  I especially find
the signal to noise much better with the Corsair,  but this
is when using the Corsair BP filter set to around 3 o'clock,
the noise level accompanying the CW signal is much
suppressed,  not sure why.  Also, find that with the Corsair
Xtal filters in the #2 and #3 positions,  the note is not changed
in amplitude,  or may even be perceived to be louder.  This
was not at all the case with my 950SDX in which the volume
dropped noticeably when going to narrower filters,  and is a
bit noticeably lower  with the D.  Also find it possible to "notch"
the noise lower using the Notch filter of the Corsair,  again
not possible on the D;  in fact with the Corsair,  fooling with
the notch filter seems to further suppers the noise,  and even
act as an audio peaking circuit for the CW tone!   The
AF peak function of the D is not as effective on weaker
signals,  at least so it seems to me.

I do not know how to quantify any of the above,  but I can
easily say,  the Corsair is much nicer to use than the
D on CW,  and no,  I have not yet used the separate
VFO box to work split,  etc.  Certainly the D split
operation is slick as a whistle,  hi.

Any thoughts on improving the side tone situation;  it even seems
to pull or gurgle at times,  maybe it is just not operating correctly;
and I certainly hope that this does not represent the tone of my
sent CW signal!!  No one has given me a T=5 or 6 yet,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai