[TenTec] RE: Corsair sidetone

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 07:18:14 -1000

Bob, WB2VUF wrote:

>Yes, the Corsair uses a Unijunction transistor (UJT) as
>the sidetone, but there is an R-C low pass filter on the
>output to clean up the waveform.

Aloha to Bob and the many, many others who have responded
with info on this topic.  I appreciate all the ideas,  circuit mods,
etc.

However,  I have taken an easy way out, hi.  I am now keying via
my old AEA Morse Machine.  Now this gadget does not have
the worlds purest sine wave sidetone either,  but for me,  a
bit more pleasant than the sawtooth,  square wave,  whatever
being generated by the unijunction in the Corsair!  Someone
also posted that they felt the Corsair sidetone was less
fatiguing over time anyway.

I am so impressed with the CW characteristics of this rig,  that
I am now attempting to sell my FT-1000D.  Will then buy a
new/used Omni VI+.  Ten Tec has a used one on the list of
gear they have just released,  but that one will probably be
gone before I get there.  Don't want to place an order until
I know the Yaesu is sold,  hi.  It was one of you guys here
on the Ten Tec reflector responding to my side  tone
question  that put me to the idea of going
all the way to the Omni;  that's what can happen when
one asks for help here,  hi!

BTW,  what/which of the many optional filters are most popular
in the Omni when 90% use will be CW (and I am not big in
contests,  just a little pistol) and probably 10% SSB,  as
in the Hawaii Afternoon/Emergency  Net??  My initial selection,
pending comments,  would be the following;  three can be
specified in the 6.3 IF,  and two in the 9MHz IF:

    6.3 MHz IF chain:  the 250, 500 CW, and 1.8 SSB;

    9 MHz IF chain;  the 500 CW and the 2.4 SSB.

Not interested in the digital modes enough to spend on
a special filter just for that (use Beezly's RITTY whenever
the mood suits me).

No any one interested in an early '92 s/n 1000D??

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai