[TenTec] Low end TenTec rig - Thought of some more

Simmons, Reid W reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:02:00 -0700

13) Single VFO

14) Effective noise blanker

15) Cut down on memories, band registers, etc.

16) No auto tuner (their worth is questionable anyway)

17) Make it modular, easily upgradeable with option kits

18) Definitely put out a T-KIT version!!!

Hmmm, how about a BTO (Build to order) rig.  Choose only those items
important to you.  This is done a lot in the computer and auto industry.

Reid, K7YX

I believe the object of this exercise should be to keep all unnecessary
bells and whistles (i.e. "crap") out (hear that YeaComWood????).  In
other words get back to basics and include those items which are truly
essential.  Keeping this in mind, it should not be a problem to produce
a rig and power supply in this price range or maybe even less.  I would
like the rig to include:

1)  6 meters as well as 160 - 10, Ham band only

2)  100 watts, variable

3)  CW, USB, LSB, and some form of AM

4)  No FSK or FM

5)  No DSP

6)  RIT, (and PBT?)

7)  No Speech processing

8)  Low noise Receiver (specs like the Omni VI)

9)  Symmetrical filtering

10) Great audio (RX & TX)

11) Front panel key jack!!!

12) Maybe provisions for optional plug-ins boards (DSP, FM, FSK, etc.)

Reid, K7YX