[TenTec] Omni Body Temperature?

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:09:29 -0500

>Hi Jim,
>
>Congratulations on your new Omni!

Me, too! Congratulations, Jim!

>I don't have the TenTec power supply, but my
>Omni VI does get warm after a few hours of
>listening.  I've thought of buying a second
>bottom cover and putting some ventilation
>holes in it, but that's as far as I've gotten!

I think if Ten-Tec had any concerns about it, they would have
done something about it.

Mine gets warm just sitting there, too.  I have two 4" muffin
fans mounted in a cutout in the shelf above the radio to keep the
air around the radio moving.  Actually, they were placed there
when my then-radio (TS-930S) used to get really warm just sitting
there.

Active or idle, the radio stays nice and cool....plus, the
airflow out from between the shelf and the radio blows to the
front of the desk towards me, so it's kinda refreshing during a
contest.

I don't know what your setup there is, Jim, but a little 2-4"
muffin fan pointing across/along the heatsink should be
sufficient to keep things nice and cool and certainly cannot
hurt..maybe you can find a 12v fan and just run it off the Omni's
or P/S's aux 13v output.

73 and enjoy your new toy!!

dale, kg5u