[TenTec] Computer noise in radio

Steve Ellington Steve Ellington" <n4lq@iglou.com
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:48:28 -0400

Does this mean that you actually tried this other monitor on your built up
computer and it didn't generate noise or are you just comparing
them as they sit? Most computer noise is generated within the power supply
and travels along the case and external cables ie the monitor cable. Two
things I've noticed over the years are:

1. Using open wire feed or coax with a bad match seems to be worse about
picking up this kind of noise.

2. Installing .01mfd disc capacitors across the ac power input leads INSIDE
the power supply reduces the noise. Simply solder a capacitor from each
power lead (hot and neutral) and connect their other ends to chassis ground.

Steve Ellington
Amateur Radio Operator N4LQ