[TenTec] Computer noise in radio

Carl Hyde carl.s.hyde@lmco.com
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:23:58 -0400

Your monitor is probably of a late design that did not have to meet the more
stringent FCC emitted noise specifications that older monitors and computers
had to meet.  The computer industry was successful in watering down the FCC
requirements just to annoy Ham operators.  So what can you do?  Well one
approach I have used is to open the monitor and remove the plastic case
completely.  Spray the complete inside of the case and back with zinc chromate
paint.  Use a strip of copper foil with conducting adhesive to ground the zinc
chromate coating to the chassis ground.  Then wrap the power cord and the video
cable into a large toroid or use a snap-on toroid to eliminate noise on those
cables.  I have used this method and have also made a mu metal shields for the
inside of the monitor case.  The paint method is effective and easier.  Hope
that helps.

Bob Ensminger wrote:

> I would appreciate info on how to get rid of computer noise in HF radio.  I
> have a new 17" screen for a computer I built up.  When I disconnect screen
> the noise goes away.  What can I do to filter noise(ie S-7 at various
> places on ham bands) from getting into radio?
>
> My other monitor from the other computer close by does generat some but
> hardly noticeable.
>
> Thanks for help,
>
> Bob, KQ7J
>
> --

Carl Hyde
carl.s.hyde@lmco.com
Desk:  (609) 866-6386
Fax:   (609) 866-6414

POLITICS:  From the Latin prefix "Poli" meaning "Many" and the word "Tics"
           meaning "blood sucking parasites"