[TenTec] Computer noise in radio

Cook, Thomas A CookTA@corning.com
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:17:11 -0400

A quick try to check out your monitor to see if shielding will help is to
temporarily wrap it in alum. foil (+ the cable) and ground it to the 'puter
case.  Don't leave this on very long - heat will rapidly build up.

Watch out for "aquadag" paint - it *may* tend to flake off and short
something out.  Miller-Stephenson Chem. Co. used to sell a nickle based
conductive paint.  Also, check out   <http:tecknit.com>.  They sell
conductive epoxies as well as other EMI products (no, I don't have any of
their stock).

Anyone having success in this area, please post it.  It is a way too common
problem that (sometimes) a "higher quality" monitor may cure, but no
guarantee.  Another problem is 'puter cases that have minimal shielding
(especially on the front).  On this note, I have seen cases where the
cover-case junction is covered with paint.  Nice, huh?

One last note, be wary of any digital indicators that indicate the processor
speed (e.g., "133") - they often are a source from which emi may be
radiated.

Tom - WA2BPE