[TenTec] Recent news on scout/Omni?

Moore,Andrew moorea@andovercontrols.com
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:03:10 -0400

After about a year away from radios (I sold all my gear to finance a
new hobby), I'm longing for CW again.  Among the radios I am
considering are the Scout and the Omni VI.  Last I knew, there were no
modifications or factory fixes for some complaints I had on each of
those radios:

- the Scout drifts at speeds above 20 WPM unless you pause from time
to time;

- the Scout has a high frequency whine on the RX audio when using
commonly available headphones (non 600 ohm, I believe);

- the rise time of the waveshape of the Omni's CW signal is so steep
that produces a somewhat harsh sounding note.

I don't want to start wars over these issues, since I know they've
been debated before and the degrees of the problems are subjective
or may have workarounds.  But I've experienced these problems myself,
and I was wondering:

Have any remedies (factory authorized or not) come up in the past year
that might resolve some of these issues?

I'm interested strictly in 30 and 40 meter CW, QRQ, and maybe adding
an amp in the distant future.  I definately want Ten Tec.

I'm possibly interested in any of the following - what have you got?
- #555 Scout
- #560? Corsair II
- #563 Omni VI
- #525D Argosy