[TenTec] Operating CW

patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:29:59 +0100 (BST)

I agree that a hand key is a good start, but if you start with a hand
key, do try to set it up correctly. If the spring tension requires
you to jump up and down to close the key, then its going to tire you
out very fast. A very wide gap is also unhelpful; you want the key to
be comfortable to use. Also the code will sound weird from unusual
settings. Aim to sound exactly like you are using a tape machine to
send code ... when they ask for details of your "keyer" you will know
you have made it !!

Speed is definitely not everything. 30 wpm of uneven, irregular
garbage is unwelcome. 15 wpm of nice even sending is fine ... speed
comes with practice, but only if you learn to send properly at
relatively slow speeds. I used an ex-Army straight key for years and
in those days I could manage 20 wpm comfortably. Now I use a
solid state keyer from QST many years ago; it has autospace,
independant control of weight and speed, and that loathsome "iambic"
mode can be turned off.

Final tip; if the hand key is on the same desk as the rig, you MAY
get mechanical feedback which makes your CW sound very clonky, or
even chirpy. I can think of a number of well-known hams who have this
effect; you can almost feel the desk vibrating as they pound away on
the key. Why do  they do this ?? Well, in some cases I suspect that it
is actually deliberate - it makes their signals stand out in a
pile-up !!! But it sounds terrible to their neighbours.
I used a piece of foam back carpet under the key base to keep it
quiet. You could monitor some of those army keys just by listening to
the clicks ..

John  G3JAG  FISTS 6036

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Date: 15-Apr-99